Wednesday, September 24, 2014

In Honour of National Tree Day


How can I NOT pay tribute to that which I love: trees! It's National Tree Day after all! I absolutely LOVE trees! Do you? Do you touch them, hug them, talk to them, and even 'bless' them? I do!

Yes, I may be 'crazy' doing that, but that's okay. My inner child is doing that 'cause she adores trees and why should I stop her? She isn't harming them!

Look very closely at the photo below: What do you see? Tell me... ;)

If you guessed a heart shape you were right! I see heart-shaped objects so often, including in nature. (See my blog post dated February 17, 2012: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2012/02/communications-from-my-dead-twin.html).

Here is a story/prose poem(?) I referred to in yesterday's post on autumn that I wrote when I was about 15 or 16, entitled, "Autumn Glory":

The countryside with its rolling hills, fields and pastures are full of colour and beauty as autumn appears. The trees await the moment for their leaves to turn into ripening and artistic colours of brilliant yellows, bright oranges, blazing reds, and deep rust browns. A touch of charm is added to the proud trees making them more lively and dignified. Gentle breezes ripple the leaves showing off their dazzling colours and boasting to the other trees about their dignity.* (I think I meant ‘splendour.’)

I stand bewildered and spellbound as I gaze up at the trees with awe. My spine tingles and I hold my breath as I look up at a tall, sparkling, all-red coloured maple tree. I am thrilled and delighted by this inspiration.

The leaves murmur among themselves, bravely preparing for the coming of winter. Then, as if by magic, the leaves drop onto the ground leaving the trees bare.

I used to like scuffling through the dry leaves as I walk and hearing the crunch of the crisp leaves. Now as I learn the magnificence of nature and the roles in which the trees play, I realize that I shouldn’t disturb the leaves but let them die peacefully.

The melancholy trees moan and mourn for the loss of their leaves as winter approaches. The trees shiver from the cold as they are unprotected. So the trees hibernate instead, until spring blooms again.

This is what autumn is like to me
.

Do you love trees? What is your favourite and why?

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful prose about trees. I love trees also. When I used to walk the Spokane River by Mission Street I would walk a circle that took about 30 minutes along the river and across two bridges. I enjoyed this walk for years. There was one large maple tree I passed each day and I knew she was the Grandmother Tree. This was long before I was a grandmother. What a gift she was. Thanks for reminding us of the blessings of our trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful walk in nature Candess. What did the Grandmother tree symbolize for you? And how did you know? Just curious! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. I love the Weeping Willow the best, out of all the trees. :) They are so HUGE, fluffy looking and sway in the breeze so gently. Nature's precious greenery!

    I see a face in that heart on the tree in your picture. It looks like an owl. Do you see it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeping willows are wonderfully majestic trees: great choice Bonnie! I can imagine an outline of one...will have to look again. That's cool that you see that! I wonder if that might be your power or totem animal perhaps? ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely piece! Trees are precious for every body. To me the bulge on the tree looks like a heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Usha. :) Yes, I think trees are precious for everyone including wildlife: birds, animals, insects... And yes, the bulge is the shape of a heart. The picture on top shows it better though I think. ;) <3

      Delete
  4. I actually wrote an article a few months ago about a tree that was "calling me", it was something weird but it felt like the tree had something to say...
    You can see the article here: http://you-made-my-day.com/blog/may-the-power-be-with-you/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's cool you had that experience Amaia. Sometimes I do get a strong impulse to hug a particular tree and oftentimes as I am walking past trees, I will touch the leaves/bark, smell the pine branches, and the like. I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to trees (assuming you did that day!) ;) <3

      Delete
  5. My "relationship", Elly with trees is more on the symbolic level re: The Tree of Knowledge" and "The Tree of Life" and the cycle it represents not only the annual transitions, but over time. My favorite tree would be "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Tree
    HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great that you have a relationship with trees Judy, even if only symbolic. I have heard of them, though only know a bit about them, not much. I LOVE that book and LOVE that tree too, of course! I have read it as well as another one or two children's books on trees which I have at home! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. I love standing under trees in autumn as they baptize me with their leaves...

    Beautiful...
    Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful image and metaphor Penny: love it! Thanks for sharing! :) <3

      Delete
  7. Wow Elly! You are such a nature-person. There are very few people who love autumns and Winters :)
    my favourite season is monsoon. Everything seems to be born again afresh and lively, and all negativity washes away.
    I'm not sure which is my favourite tree...never gave it a thought. But i do love trees and nature all the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well how can one not love nature? It's "natural" and thus beautiful. I prefer spring, then autumn, though not a fan of winter. Here in Canada it's too cold and wet...on the West Coast where I live the rainy season, on the East Coast, mostly snow as well as to the north. Wow: monsoon, really?! That must be if only you are inside right? I bet you don't like to get soaked outside or do you? ;) Though I understand your reasoning. ;) <3

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete