Saturday, April 25, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: V is for ...Values!


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter V in the A to Z challenge is Values. (I would love to write about vision as in what we envision for ourselves....hmmm, maybe another time!)

After a busy day of work, attending a poetry reading event (in lieu of Poetry Month), and reading and commenting on other blogger's A to Z posts, I now have just a little over half an hour to post my V letter for the day! Yikes! (Note to Debbie D. Doglady: I am a pantser!) ;)

Values are what we hold dear to our hearts and in our hearts as well! Can you tell I am writing this late and in a hurry? ;)

One such definition is "a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life." Better google speaks than I try to articulate this, especially at this late, 11th hour! ;)

Synonyms for value include "principles, ethics, moral code, morals, standards, code of behavior."

I have thought of and explored my values in workshops as well as everyday life, usually when encountering a person or situation that went against the grain of my personality or questioned my integrity or the like. I believe this is when values come to the forefront of one's life.

One of my top values is authenticity. A successful businessman and trainer that I know despises the term as he declares that you can be authentically inauthentic. He does have a point! Thus, being genuine, genuineness maybe a more suitable word. However, to me authenticity means being true to oneself, so I prefer to use that with that explanation! ;)

Some of my values being expressed (photo by Roberto Kaplan)

Ok, moving on, creativity and self-expression are other top values I cherish. And yes, I am quite creative especially with ideas and I hope with words too as in writing - yes?

Self-expression comes through writing in particular as well as singing, dancing, performance via opportunities through school or Halloween or ??? who knows?!

Fun, having fun is an important value as I believe it is important to let loose and let your hair down once in a while, in a 'clean' and healthy way.

Friends are like family and of course family is important too though I'm not as close to them as I could be and would like to be. However, I hope to change that and am in the process of working on that.

So what are some of your top values? What do you hold dear and close to your heart?


Just an aside here: I chuckled when I had forgotten that I had already posted my letter U for the day wanting to do so just before midnight (as I notice the Indian bloggers who do so, but they are one day ahead!). And here I was in a bit of a panic! AND then, I realized later, I could have posted just after midnight for today! Silly me! ;)

29 comments:

  1. Hahah yeah, the multiple time zones sometimes do confusing things during A-Z :)
    Sounds like we could be friends - I value a lot of the things that you do. I love to perform (was just commenting on someone else's post about acting in and directing the Vagina Monologues a few years ago), sing, dance, write.. I also value children, and honesty/integrity.
    :) Fun post! You've almost made it through!!
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, confusing time zones! ;) Cool! We sure do have quite a bit in common: similar interests and values. :) <3

      Delete
  2. lol yeah sometimes theese different time zone confuses us... Btw, wonderful post about Values.. :)

    A Rat's Nibble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by time zones! ;) Thanks for reading, commenting, and enjoying! :) Considering your name and post title, you may appreciate this post on A Rat's Tale - http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2010/08/rats-tale.html ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Authenticity is a good value. One of my father's favourite quotes was This above all to thine own self be true. You did great for a panster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote regarding authenticity - could have used that! ;) And thanks in terms of being a pantser: yeah, not too bad, eh? ;) <3

      Delete
  4. I think there's a difference between what I value and what my values are... but it's interesting that the word carries such hugely important and positive meaning. But I reckon in my top 10 are probably some pretty universal values: respect, honesty, tolerance... peace.
    Wendy at Wendy of The Rock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could be a different; however, you also value your values don't you? ;) Great values Wendy! :) <3

      Delete
  5. When I read this, I was thinking about the difference between value and added value... Here is an example... I took my daughter on a show shopping venture. She is a waitress, and is required to wear shoes with a special non skid sole. In the past, she has bought what she perceived to be the most economical shoes on the market. That is another way of saying, she bought the cheapest pair she could find. They did not last long, and they were not comfortable. As a result, she is now in a wheel chair. (Okay, I made that part up. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention. And, I am a writer. We have a license to embellish. Back to reality now...)

    We went to a more upscale shoe store than, say... K-Mart. We ended up purchasing a pair for 70 dollars. In the past, she had paid 40 dollars. My lesson to her, regarding value added was, she was going to pay 40 dollars no matter what, so really, all she was out was the extra 30 dollars difference. The 40 dollars for the value, and the extra 30 dollars for the value added... But, wait... There was a buy one pair for full price, get a second pair for half price... She needed walking shoes to go the track. We basically applied the same theory, and got a really nice pair of name brand that look good and feel good and will last far longer, hopefully.

    Oh, and for the record, Dad paid for all of it, so her true value was quite off the charts... Now that I reflect on this, I am wondering just who took who to school that day?

    Note: Debbiels V word was Verbose. It is about rambling on and on about something that could have been said briefly. Oh... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, though I was speaking on valueS in terms of principles or standards of behavior" I can understand what you are saying regarding value and added value. The expression, "You get what you pay for" comes to mind, and that sure is applicable to the shoe situation. Trust me, I know too! ;)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post and to answer your question, I am going to share this with you https://happinessandfood.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-value-of-values/

    :) Hope you enjoy reading as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parul. :) And I will read your post! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. Loved reading your post on values, I value all you have mentioned plus many more like sincerity, honesty, courage...Authenticity tops the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sulekkha. :) Yes, I have other values too similar to you though have only mentioned a few and some that were unique different to the general norm. Glad to hear we share authenticity! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. Great post. Values matter a lot for us to grow in life and be successful. Honesty, integrity and ethics matters lot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ranveer regarding the rush in writing it! :) Great values you uphold and I would say similar to me as best I can! ;) <3

      Delete
  9. Such an interesting theme for a blog. I'm so glad I found you. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

    Sylvia
    www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my theme Sylvia and welcome to my blog! :) I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. <3

      Delete
  10. Values to me are to keep the people I love close to me, do little things for them, and still not compromise on my life. I do hope that you're able to get closer to your loved ones as much as you wish to. IBy the way, love this picture of you Elly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Vinnie. :) I forgot to mention that values are usually one or two words, rather than a phrase; however, I like what you have to say. I would surmise your top values are family and friends given what you've shared. ;) And thanks, I love that pic too! ;) <3

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Without values, life would be point blank meaningless. I agree with you on everything that you have written. I believe in authenticity too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that Aathira regarding your first statement: thanks for sharing! :) <3

      Delete
  13. My core values? Respecting others. And doing the best I can no matter what project I'm tackling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respect is certainly a great value to uphold Vanessa and it starts with respecting yourself. :) Doing your best is also ideal. Thanks for visiting and sharing! :) <3

      Delete
  14. I so admire you "panters" Elly! Never could I do a post in 30 minutes. ☺
    Yes, everyone has a personal code of ethics and what's important to them. Agree with you about authenticity - goes along with honesty and integrity. Creativity, self-expression, fun, family and friends are all part of the equation too. I also think it's important to keep an open mind and not be judgmental of others who are different. "Live and Let Live".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to thank you for adding that word to my vocabulary Debbie! ;) Open-mindedness or nonjudgementalism is also a great value to uphold. :) <3

      Delete
  15. Having values in life gives our life a sharper focus and better clarity.Also it’s not hard to make decisions when we know what our values are. I think my topmost values would be sincerity, genuineness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you encapsulate the definition of values Shilpa, i.e., with a sharp and clear lens on life and making decisions. Thanks for sharing that! :) And sincerity and genuineness though somewhat similar are great values to hold dear to your heart. <3

      Delete