Thursday, July 2, 2015

Canada Day Holiday: July 1st


A flag with a First Nations motif (photo I took)

And here is the traditional version of the Canadian flag (in the middle) between the Vancouver flag to the left and the BC (British Columbian) flag to the right of it (below):

Flags of Vancouver, Canada, and BC (Wikipedia photo)

I'm grateful to be living in a free land/country without war, without having to worry about living in a refugee camp, starving and destitute on the streets (though there are people here who are) and the like.

Waving my paper Canadian flag, wearing my Canadian flag pin and red and white coloured clothing, I attended a Canada Day parade in North Vancouver, British Columbia before heading back home, grabbing a bit to eat and what-not before heading for a Canada Day festival of music, food carts, vendors, and the like. Later on, watching the fireworks to music which I prefer, i.e., without music it seems rather dull and boring in comparison.

Watching a Canadian National (CN) train - I love trains - go by.

Photo of CN train I took

See my two previous short posts of prior Canada Days: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4481012230858682867&bpli=1#editor/target=post;postID=6182933957545827564;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=31;src=link AND also http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2012/07/photo-courtesy-of-brian-gratwicke-happy.html

What do you appreciate most about being Canadian if you are one?

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Canadian Day.Got a glimse of the celebrations !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parades are often a part of Canada Day as well as other activities including fireworks! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. Happy Canada Day! It was nice to see the parade and hear the fireworks even though I was half asleep by then! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanch :) I believe most communities (at least big ones) have a Canada Day parade) and fireworks. Hope you had a great time celebrating in and enjoying Whistler! :) <3

      Delete
  3. I appreciate being Canadian for so many reasons. No war, universal healthcare, freedom to live how you want, wide open spaces, endless forests and lakes, wildlife, diversity. We may have our problems and winters last too long, but I am so grateful to live here and feel fortunate to have been born in Canada. I can fully understand why so many want to come here to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the factors you mention that make Canada great: Thanks for sharing Cat! :) <3

      Delete
  4. Happy Canada Day Ell...Hope you had a great time...I have heard Canada is a great place and seeing Sanch's pics I know it's a beautiful place.. It certainly is on my travel list, maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naba. It wasn't a great time, but it wasn't a bad time either! ;) Canada is beautiful and it would be great if you could see it. I would love to see/meet you one day, if I don't see you first? ;) <3

      Delete
  5. Happy Canada Day, Elly! To be living in a country without wars and worries is indeed a blessing. Hope you had a good time at the celebrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa. :) Yes, for sure. It certainly is a major blessing! :) <3

      Delete
  6. Happy Canada Day, Elly. Fireworks to music must be awesome. Our Diwali fireworks are mostly just noise and pollution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chicky. :) Usually fireworks to music is awesome if the music is great...it was so-so then. However, the ones where three countries compete later in the summer are spectacular with better music usually! ;) Aren't all fireworks noisy and polluted? ;) <3

      Delete
  7. it's a beautiful thing to be living in a lovely country like Canada. In Indian serials, most of the characters would either be living in US or Canada and since then I have been fascinated towards the country. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raj and I would agree with you. :) Hope you get a chance to visit Canada and/or the U.S. one day! :) <3

      Delete